Companies have a legal obligation to ensure that the products they are selling are reasonably safe for consumers. Yet, in far too many cases, companies violate this obligation to the public. They choose to put short-term profits ahead of the health and safety of consumers. Sadly, many thousands of innocent people are injured by defective products every year.
At Kapuza Lighty, PLLC, our Yakima defective products lawyers are committed to holding negligent companies legally liable for their misconduct. If you or your loved one was hurt due to a defective product, you may be entitled to significant financial compensation. To get help with your claim, please contact our law firm today.
Common Defective Product Cases
Product liability claims come in many different forms. At Kapuza Lighty, PLLC, our defective product lawyers handle the full range of product liability cases. Some examples of products that have been implicated in defective product lawsuits include:
- Pharmaceutical drugs;
- Medical equipment;
- Motor vehicles and auto parts;
- Industrial equipment;
- Consumer appliances;
- Children’s toys; and
- Other common household products.
Understanding Washington’s Product Liability Rules
In 1981, our state legislature passed the Washington Product Liability Act (WPLA). Most defective product claims in the state are now brought under this statute. This is a notoriously complex law. The WPLA offers several different legal theories under which an injured victim could potentially establish liability. This includes:
- The risk utility formula: This allows victims to prevail if they can provide that an alternative product design would have cost less for the company than the total value of the injuries caused by the dangerous product.
- Consumer expectations: Under this theory, victims can hold companies liable if their product is substantially more dangerous than reasonable consumer expectations.
- Lack of warnings or proper instructions: Companies may also be held legally liable if their labels contain a lack of warnings or inadequate product safety instructions.
- Breach of warranty: In certain cases, companies may be held legally responsible for defective products under Washington contract law.
Victims Deserve Full Compensation
If you or your family member was injured by a defective product in Washington, you are entitled to make a financial recovery for the full value of your losses. This includes non-economic damages. Though, big companies and their insurers work aggressively to try to limit settlement offers.
At Kapuza Lighty, PLLC, our Yakima product liability lawyers may be able to help you get compensation for:
- Emergency medical care;
- Long-term medical treatment;
- Visits to specialists;
- Rehabilitative care;
- Disability coverage;
- Lost current and future income;
- Pain and suffering;
- Emotional distress;
- Disfigurement; and
- The wrongful death of a family member.
Contact Our Yakima Defective Product Lawyers Today
At Kapuza Lighty, PLLC, our experienced Washington product liability attorneys are standing by, ready to fight for your rights. If you or a family member was injured by a defective product, please call our law firm today for a fully confidential consultation. With an office in Yakima, we handle defective product cases throughout Eastern Washington, including in Ellensburg, Wenatchee, Sunnyside, Prosser, Richland, Kennewick, Pasco, Moses Lake and Spokane.