Victims of truck accidents in Washington can suffer devastating injuries, especially considering the size differential between a semi and a passenger vehicle. You may have a claim to recover compensation, but filing a claim is complicated. Not only are the laws complex, but there are also multiple parties involved with a truck crash, including the driver, the trucking company, an insurance provider, and others.
You do not have to face these difficult challenges alone. Our trucking accident legal group at Kapuza Lighty, PLLC will aggressively pursue all potential parties to obtain the compensation you deserve for your losses. Please contact our Yakima, WA offices to discuss your case, and read on for some general information about these cases.
Yakima, Washington Truck Accident Attorneys Fight for Your Rights
When a truck collision occurs due to the truck driver’s negligence, you may be entitled to compensation for your losses. Our lawyers will assist you navigating this type of claim, which requires you to prove:
- The truck operator had a duty to drive with a reasonable degree of care so as to not cause a risk of harm to other motorists;
- The driver breached this duty through negligent acts;
- This breach led to the truck accident that caused your injuries; and,
- You suffered losses as a result of getting hurt.
Your compensation in a truck accident claim is based upon the legal concept of damages, which refers to the losses you experience due to your injuries. They include:
- Economic Damages: These are the readily ascertainable losses, often out-of-pocket, that you suffer because of being injured. Medical expenses for treatment, such as emergency care, surgery, and physical therapy, are examples of economic damages. Another is the income you would have earned had you not been hurt in the accident.
- Noneconomic Damages: These losses are more subjective in nature, such as pain and suffering, emotional distress, or the consequences for your personal relationships. Because it is not easy to prove them by presenting documents, trucking accident lawyers usually retain experts to assist in establishing noneconomic damages.
Laws Affecting Your Compensation
Even if you prove the essential elements of a truck collision claim and can establish your damages, there are laws that can impact your total recovery amount, such as:
- Washington State’s statute of limitations, which only allows you three years from the date of the trucking accident to file a lawsuit; and
- The law on contributory negligence that can reduce your compensation if you were somewhat at fault in the crash.
How Our Washington Truck Accident Lawyers Can Help
Truck accidents are among the most challenging types of personal injury claims to bring in Washington. Not only are there complex state and federal regulations that could affect the case, but the large commercial insurance companies that handle these claims tend to be especially aggressive. If you were hurt in a trucking accident, you need an experienced truck accident lawyer on your side. At Kapuza Lighty, PLLC, our attorneys know how to hold these companies accountable and get our clients full and fair financial compensation. Among other things, we are prepared to:
- Listen to your story and conduct an in-depth review of your truck accident claim;
- Answer specific questions and explain your rights under Washington state law;
- Identify all defendants who may bear full or partial liability for your injuries;
- Investigate the tractor trailer collision — securing important evidence, including medical documentation, police reports, witness statements, black box electronic data, and truck inspection records;
- Deal with insurance adjusters, including handling settlement talks; and
- Prepare a strong, well-supported legal claim, should it be necessary to file a personal injury lawsuit.
If you or your family member was injured in a large truck accident in Yakima County, WA, you deserve fully personalized legal representation. Many of these claims are eventually settled outside of litigation. Our law firm helps clients maximize truck accident settlement offers. We are also made up of trial-tested Washington truck accident lawyers. Our law firm is always ready to take your case to court to get justice.
Consult with an Experienced Yakima, WA Trucking Accident Lawyer
For more information on truck crash claims and your rights to compensation, please contact the office of Kapuza Lighty, PLLC in Yakima, WA. You do not pay for our legal services unless we win your case, and we also offer a free consultation where we can review your legal options.