hit and run compensation

Being involved in a car accident as a driver, passenger, or pedestrian can be a painful and confusing experience.

But those feelings can be compounded and the situation can become even more complex when the driver at fault flees the scene of the accident.

Hit and run accidents can cause you injury, property damage, and significant questions about how you will be compensated for the harm caused by the accident.

In Washington state, a number of factors are considered when determining hit and run compensation.

To learn more about your legal options following this type of claim, call or contact the experienced accident attorneys at Kapuza Lighty in Yakima today.

Personal Injury Protection (PIP) Coverage

One option for covering the costs of damage caused by a hit and run accident is through personal injury protection (PIP) coverage. In Washington state, PIP coverage is not required auto insurance but can be added to a policy, and insurers are required by law to offer it to you when purchasing an auto insurance policy.

This is a great option for hit and run coverage because typical auto insurance policies do not always cover hit and run claims. PIP coverage will help you pay, up to certain limits, medical and hospital expenses, wage loss, loss of services, and in the worst case scenarios, for funeral expenses.

Medical and hospital expenses are covered up to $10,000 for up to three years after the accident with an additional $35,000 available in coverage. Funeral expenses under PIP include $2,000 per person as well as for $200 per week for a non-family member to provide services for work like household chores that you can no longer do up to $5,000 total. Wage loss coverage includes $200 per week up to $10,000 but is limited to one year after the accident.

Uninsured Motorist Coverage

Another option for recovery after a hit and run accident is uninsured motorist coverage. Like PIP coverage, uninsured motorist coverage is not required by Washington state law for auto policies but can be added as coverage.

Uninsured motorist coverage will help pay the expenses incurred by a hit a run driver that is not covered by your typical liability coverage. Uninsured motorist coverage also covers hit and run accidents caused by phantom vehicles. This occurs when a car swerves into your lane or commits another action that does not make contact with your car but causes you to get into an accident. Uninsured motorist coverage includes payment for medical bills, lost wages, property damage, and more up to the limits of the policy.

Call Our Office Now

Hit and run accidents are often complicated claims, and you should rely on experienced accident attorneys to help you with your case. You should never talk to an insurance agency or make a statement without attorney representation on your side. Call or contact the law office of Kapuza Lighty in Yakima today to schedule a free consultation of your hit and run claims.


1 Star2 Stars3 Stars4 Stars5 Stars
1 votes, average: 5.00 out of 5